Using Google Earth Images in Place of Drawings
If you need to provide a quote for exterior work - roofing, concrete, pavement, etc. - on an existing build, but don't have drawings and can't visit the project site, you can download a Google Earth image to use as a plan page to create a takeoff in STACK. See instructions below.
*If this option doesn't fit your situation, there are other other ways to use STACK without blueprints - find out more here.
Download a Google Earth Image for Use in STACK
- Open Google Earth Pro from your desktop.
(Download and install to your desktop if you don't already have it.)
NOTE: Do not use Google Maps. Google Earth Pro provides the best user experience with STACK.
- Enter the projectaddress in the Search field and click the Search button.
- Adjust the view to be aligned over the project location.
- Use the mouse and tools on the right side of the screen to zoom in and rotate the view.
- You can also use the Tilt and Compass tools found by clicking View on the top toolbar, then Reset.
- Make sure no Layers are selected - they can impact the image quality and Google Earth Pro functionality.
- Establish a known dimension. (If you already have a known dimension, skip to step 7.)
- Click the Ruler tool on the top toolbar.
- Click on two points to create a line measurement.
- Make sure the Map Length unit of measurement is what you want to use. (Ex. Feet)
- Make note of the length. (STACK will rely on this dimension to set the scale.)
- Click Save.
NOTE: We do not recommend using the scale provided by Google Earth to set the scale in STACK.
- Enter a Name and click OK.
NOTE: We recommend using the line length as the name so it will appear on the legend, making it easier to remember.
- Click the Save Image icon on the top toolbar. The title and legend will automatically appear.
- Click the Save Image... button to save the file to your local device.
After you have saved the image to your local device, you can create a project in STACK and upload the file, use the known dimension to set the scale in STACK, and start your takeoff.
If you need additional assistance, please Contact Us.